Thursday, August 22, 2013

Nature Animals Part I





Madagascar Day Gecko, Maui

The combination of my passion for the natural world and my love of macro photography resulted in this shot of a baby Madagascar day gecko hiding in a succulent plant on my back deck in Spreckelsville, Maui. In the morning before work, I love to take my coffee with me to my deck gardens and watch the geckos start to appear and warm themselves in little warm spots of sun.
One windless morning, movement and a flash of color caught my eye. This baby gecko apparently felt very safe in its hiding place, as it allowed me to get very close. I dropped to the deck, camera in hand, and slowly crawled forward until I was inches away. —Lauren Hogan.


Ladybug and Daylily

A ladybug peeks out from a daylily.


Butterfly and Rhododendron

Photograph by Julia Baverstock, My Shot
This Month in Photo of the Day: Nature and Weather Photos
This beautiful rare butterfly was on a rhododendron bush in my grandfather's garden, Dartmoor, Devon.

Polar Bears Playing

This interested third party was observing the "interactions" of two polar bears near Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

Owl and Mouse, Minnesota

Great gray owls come south from Canada into Minnesota during the winter to find food. This owl was on the north shore of Lake Superior, just south of Two Harbors, Minnesota. We happened to find him as the sun was setting, and in the evening light, we were able to be in a position to see an owl that was hunting when a mouse came out, and the owl was quick to pounce and pick up an evening meal.


Horses, Iceland

Icelandic horses gathered on top of this hill within their paddock beneath this stunning cloud formation. The combination seemed positively heavenly. This photo was taken at the breeding farm in northern Iceland called Ibisholl.


Porcelain Crab

A red-spotted porcelain crab clings to an anemone in this underwater photo from a member of our Your Shot community. The tiny crustaceans often tuck themselves away under stones, among sponges, amid mussels, and in other hiding spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment